Sunday, April 11, 2004

My girlfriend took me to a Moshav Band gig the other night. Their music is a mix of English and Hebrew, sacred texts and modern lyrics and carries the influences of Carlebach, Grateful Dead, rock, blues and folk; it is a funky and extremely potent cocktail. We saw them at Club Tzora down by Beit Shemesh with a packed, eclectic crowd which included babes in arms, white haired grandparents and a good dose of yeshiva students; I was about the only non-American in the room but made it safely through the evening! Saturday night they played again at The Yellow Submarine in Talpiot which I gave a miss to but my girlfriend thoroughly enjoyed.

Based in the US, these guys tour extensively and clearly enjoy their music. They engage the crowd, have an extensive following and appear to be having a lot of fun when they're on stage. Tour dates are on the calendar on their website: check them out if you have the opportunity.

Chag Sameach

Gilly

No comments: