Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Good to be home.....

This morning I embarked on a journey that I have been looking forward to for close to 6 weeks - it's the same journey that I usually make on a daily basis - the commute from my home to the office - a half hour walk through Jerusalem, along Derech Beit Lechem, up past the Old City and up Keren Hayesod. A simple journey but one that symbolised a return to routine that I was longing for.

Having completed 2 weeks of Miluim and bid the family and shops in the States goodbye, I slept for most of the trip home. As we came down through the clouds and crossed the coast over Tel Aviv, I felt, as I always do, a palpable sense of relief. As the wheels touched down, I exhaled deeply, thrilled to be back in Israel; for all its warts, this is my home and I hate being away for longer than necessary.

The weak sunshine, streaming out of a clear blue sky put an immediate smile on my face this morning and the familiar smells and sights cemented it in place; the honking of agitated drivers and smell of petrol fumes, the roadworks and the fact that I was on my way to work had no effect. Going away is fun but it's great to be home!

Gilly

2 comments:

celestial blue said...

welcome home!
we're glad you are back safe and sound. ;-)

Anonymous said...

You are extremely articulate! What a lovely post indeed. Once again your post got me into this dreamy state where I'm thinking "ohh I know *that* feeling.