Monday, May 04, 2009

Things that I will miss

We're into May which means that there's a little more than 3 months to go before we're back in Israel. I'm tremendously excited to be heading home, somewhat nervous as the future is a little uncertain but whatever happens is for the best. Having had a wonderful Shabbat, I've been thinking about the things that I'll miss - mainly little things to be honest but you do grow certain attachments.




If there was one store that I could take with me it would be Trader Joe's. Those who are in the know will most certainly be nodding your heads in agreement. For those who are unfamiliar, this is a market like no other that I've encountered - lots of good, imaginative food, much of it kosher (the web site has a guide to kosher symbols on it. The feel of a gourmet market but without inflated prices and a wicked sense of humour. We'll miss our two local stores very much - but will be happy to exchange them for Machane Yehuda - my very favourite place!

When we first visited the US after we got married I met and fell in love with Target - a store where you can really get everything (except fresh fruit and veg in most locations). Over the years I've bought clothes, furnishings, kitchenwares, photos, electronics, cosmetics, crisps (Archer Farms Wasabi Mustard - highly addictive), cleaning products, storage solutions and on and on and on........ Really there's no need to have any other store (apart from TJ's off course).

There are other things that I'll miss - plentiful, guilt free, piping hot water on demand 24/7, snow in winter, 4 seasons in the year, petrol at $2 a gallon, but mostly the thing that I'll be missing will be the friends who we've made whilst we've been here - you know who you are (though you probably aren't reading) - we feel blessed and will look forward to your visits and ultimately the day when you step off the airplane with an Aliyah visa in your passport.

The countdown is on!

Gilly

No comments: