Friday, July 08, 2005

What I learned today......

Eggs and bicycles are a bad combination. No matter how carefully you pedal home from the souk, some of them will break..... I know that you're scratching your heads and wondering why I couldn't figure that out for without doing the practical to prove it!

The souk this morning was bustling as usual. I went to my spice store in the covered souk for coffee and olive oil (NIS 24.95 for a litre of extra virgin is very decent) - he has literally any spice, flavouring, condiment etc that you could want and has done so since the 1930s. His prices are decent but he does have goods for the upper end of the market as well - selling a coffee in the souk that costs NIS 85 per 100g (more than 10 times the price of the stuff I buy) strikes me as being slightly anachronistic - must be some pretty good Joe - "Trep" - what do you think?

David Dagim on Rechov Hashezif is the place to go for fresh fish - especially if you're making Sushi. It's on our menu tonight as we're having a quiet meal - we'll sit down with rolling mats an hour before candle lighting (we don't roll on Shabbes...) with rice, vinegar, vegetables and fresh salmon - my mouth is watering at the prospect.

Wishing you a Shabbat Shalom and Chodesh Tov,

Gilly

1 comment:

treppenwitz said...

I don't know the place, but I would expect world class stuff for that price!

Lately I have been getting some fresh roasted Sumatra on Emek Raphaim that has been just fantastic! It's a bit pricey... but nothing like you described.